Little One Is Here!

Little One Is Here!
Hi Busy Bees! Here is our 'Babee' Brother Jack! Get it?! We miss you! Love, Lilly Rose and Sophie Pink

Our Class Rules

* We are respectful * We are responsible * We are safe * We follow the GOLDEN RULE *



August 15, 2011

Weekly Update, August 15 - 19

Hello First Graders and First Grade Families!

Welcome to the first full week of first grade! The children are doing a wonderful job practicing the procedures for our class, remembering our rules and learning our academic structure. The children are incredibly sweet and smart. And, they all have such a wonderful sense of humor! We are off and running in first grade and we have a wonderful year ahead of us!

This week I will begin sending communication electronically, either through an email with a word document or an email with a link to my website for a new blog posting. I will also send home a paper note for you to sign and return to confirm that you received the email.

Today we began to settle into the structure of school. We began assessments today and the children will complete a variety of assessments throughout the week. Grading these assessments will help me be the best teacher for your child! The children will be assessed in spelling, sight word reading, reading, writing, number recognition, addition and skip counting.

Today we learned how to do a draw and write. This is when I teach the children, step by step, how to draw something and then they write a story about their drawing. They love this! We are also reviewing how to correctly form letters. Please join me in encouraging your child to use his or her best penmanship!

The children are learning how to choose "just right books" and they are having fun exploring the Bee Quiet Corner to make their selections.

In math we worked on number sense, addition and skip counting. We are learning all about how to find a pair and how to tell if something is even or odd. Please be sure to ask your child what it is called when there is a leftover in an odd number! Today we worked on graphing our birthdays. Ask your child to tell you how a graph is helpful.

The children have worked hard last week to earn Bee Bucks to be able to shop for a toy in the Treasure Hive at the end of the week. We also began another positive behavior system, The Rainbow Club, today. You may want to ask your child how many bee bucks he or she has or what level he or she is on in Rainbow Club. Friday will be our first Rainbow Club day; the children are excited already!

Upcoming Dates/Reminders
This Wednesday, August 17 is Parent Information Night. This begins at 6:30 in the Cross MPR. There will be a welcome from Mr. Heinemann, teacher introductions and a PTO presentation and then we will return to the classroom.
Friday is Sharing Circle Day! The children may bring in one item or a story to share. If you would like to bring in a live animal, please contact me a few days in advance to set that up.
Next week we begin our special person. The children will need to come to school with their posters ready on their day (posters will be given out at parent night).


Thank you and have a great day!
Mrs. Johnston

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for setting up this Blog! I love the fact that Kaelan's teacher is not afraid of using today's technologies. Kaelan and I have been making a habit of visiting/reading your blog together. I like having your posts to help him explain to me what is going on in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My teacher is the best! She writes table points. She gets points to table 1, table 2, and table 3. She didn't get table 4 table points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie and Kaelan,

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for commenting! I'm glad you like the blog. It is so much fun to do!

    Have a great afternoon and I'll see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mrs.Jhonston it's Alanna.I'm in 4th grade I got this really awesome teacher named Mrs.Bertram!She's awesome!!!Anyways say hi to your husband,Sophie Pink, and Lilly Rose for me:)Oh almost forgot also say hi to the 1st graders!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alanna,

    Thanks for finding my blog and saying hi! I love hearing from my former students. :)

    It's hard to believe you're in FOURTH GRADE - wow! I'm so glad your teacher is awesome. You are so smart and you will do great in 4th grade!

    I will tell Mr. Johnston, the dogs and my first graders that you said hello. :)

    Have a great year in 4th grade!
    Mrs. Johnston

    ReplyDelete