Little One Is Here!

Little One Is Here!
Hi Busy Bees! Here is our 'Babee' Brother Jack! Get it?! We miss you! Love, Lilly Rose and Sophie Pink

Our Class Rules

* We are respectful * We are responsible * We are safe * We follow the GOLDEN RULE *



May 11, 2010

Terrific Tuesday, 5/11

Happy Tuesday, Everyone!

Wow! What an awesome music performance! Thank you so much for all your hard work. It was so great to have so many family members there to watch and listen! Nice work, second graders!

It's hard to believe that this is our last full week of school! While we only have 7 days of school left, we still have A LOT to learn!! Summer is just around the corner and that is very exciting. That said, it is important for the students to remain focused and to know that we will be learning a lot of great information on each of those 7 days! Parents - please join me in reminding your child to stay focused and respectful. Please remind your child to continue to always do his or her best work! Thank you!

Our Math Madness Week is off to a great start! We're learning about money, calculator work and place value! We learned how important it is to remember our friend Zero The Hero when we write money amounts! Kids - be sure to tell your parents how to write 7 cents and 70 cents in dollars and cents notation. They are quite different! Zero is our friend and he is important!

We are busy in Writers' Workshop this week as the students are all in slightly different stages of their essay writing. We are learning about the importance of drafting, editing and re-writing. We will be putting the books together at the end of this week and the beginning of next week. They're going to be great!

In Making Words we practiced contraction families and suffix rules. The class is really starting to get a good grasp of many of the different contraction families and I am excited to see that the children are using the contractions in their writing. You're doing a great job! It's great to use contractions! Keep up the good work; you'll be experts in no time!!! (Get it?!?!). We learned quite a few rules and tricks of suffixes today. Kids - be sure to tell your parents what's special about words that end in "y" and why "give" and "find" follow their own rules!

Last week 3 students received prizes for being the first 3 students to correctly answer all the questions on my blog. Who will get the prizes this week? Please comment on THIS BLOG ONLY with your name and your responses to the questions. Please make sure your answers are in complete sentences. Good Luck!

Have a fantastic week!
Mrs. Johnston

5 comments:

  1. My last day of school is May,Friday the 14th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.Example of exact calculation: I want to buy soda and it cost $8.99.I only have $9.00 .I pay for the soda and I get 1 cent back from the cashier.

    Example of estimation: if I want to buy an item at $2.99 and another one at $3.29, it will cost me approximately $6.30.

    2.Today we learn about writ essays.
    Suffixes for the sentence: today we learned about writingg essays.

    3.They do what they usually do, like: the kid just acted how he usually was, so did the mom and the cat

    4. the instances to use contractions are when you want to make a word shorter while writing. Contractions can alos be used in poems and songs and science.

    5. Calculating costs by estimation is the most accurate method. A calculator can help us estimate. Calculators tell us the answer for addition of numbers, subtraction, division, multiplication.... Calculators can display two digits or more after the decimal point.My favorite thing with calculators is typing the numbers on the calculator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the answer is rainbow. love, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mrs. Johnston,

    I could not do the questions because I was very busy this week. But I want to do them this weekend. Even if I don't get a prize. But it would still be nice. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I messed up I liked Eric Carle.I liked it because we had to write our favoite book he wrote.I also liked it because we had to write 3 good facts.I even liked it because he wrote over 70 books.

    ReplyDelete